- 演習のテーマ / Seminar Theme
- International law and the COVID-19 response measures
- 演習の目標 / Seminar Objectives
- Students will be able to explain international legal issues related to
COVID-19 pandemic response measures by states and international organizations.
- 演習の運営方法 / Ways of Conducting This Seminar
- Students will be divided into groups and will get assigned to a treaty
regime that sets out relevant international legal rules to COVID-19 pandemic
response (see the tentative list of treaty regimes below). In groups, students
will study rules and procedures set out by the assigned treaty regime under
the guidance of the Instructor. Each week, one group will present their
findings of the treaty regime and explain its function to other students.
The group will also answer questions raised by the audience. In this way,
students will mutually learn about different dimensions of global health
governance through a legal lens.
The WHO Regime: The International Health Regulation (2005) and its application
to information-sharing, travel ban, and other central measures
Human Rights Treaty Regime: The principles governing quarantine, privacy
The WTO Regime: The potential trade restrictions and intellectual property
- 開講言語 / Language
- The use of Japanese will not be prohibited, but most of the discussions
and reading materials will be in English.
- 使用するテキスト・参考文献などの紹介 / Texts and materials
- Students will be required to conduct a broad and deep research using library
and online resources.
- As the moment of writing this Syllabus, a good starting point is: Armin
von Bogdandy & Pedro Villarreal, "International Law on Pandemic Response: A First Stocktaking in Light of
the Coronavirus Crisis", Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law & International Law
(MPIL) Research Paper No. 2020-07
- 受講生に望むこと / Expectations for Students
- Students taking this seminar must be committed and willing to pursue teamwork.
- ゼミ相談時間及びそれに関するコメント / Consultation Dates
- Office Hour (Wed., 3rd period)
Please send an e-mail to set an appointment.
- この演習科目と関わって履修が望ましい科目 / Relevant Courses
- International law EA, Human Rights EA/JA, Globalization and Law JA
- 想定される進路 / Potential Career Paths
- Students can acquire legal analytical mindset and skills, which are not
only relevant for a legal career, but also in the field of diplomacy, international
and domestic public sector, business, media, and social sector.
- ゼミで使用するオンラインデータベース / Online Databases
- HeinOnline, JSTORE and other
- 申請結果発表後、履修開始までにやっておいて欲しいこと / Preparation before the Seimar Starts
- Please carefully follow the progress related to COVID-19.